WAFM to DAHM

First I was a work away from home Mom and it was very hard....then I was a SAHM - stay at home mom and mother of 4- then I tried being a WAHM - work at home mom and that was awesome......But now I am a DAHM - Disabled at home Mom and I am doing the best that I can to make that Okay! Recently I have added caregiver and advocate to my 84 year old mother who suffers from Dementia and mental illness. Such is life... I hope you visit here and find a reason to smile and a little Joy!

Saturday, March 14, 2009

Small Creatures Among Us....

Today is another dreary day here - rainy and overcast. I tend to have more problems when it is wet outside or damp. So as I dragged myself through the kitchen this morning, I heard the usual loud chirp of a little bird that frequents my feeder just outside our closed in porch which has become my husband's office. It used to be mine when I worked from home but that is another tale for another day.

Anyway back to my bird friend - he is almost annoyingly happy - every day! I know it is a "HE" because he is a beautiful red appropriately dressed male cardinal. I personally don't believe there is another more beautiful bird that comes to our backyard feeder. But.......he puts me to shame because when it is cold, rainy, even freezing and threatening of snow, he is chipper and very vocal about how wonderful life is. Fill that feeder up and you will be rewarded with every song in his little song book. He is just a very happy guy and I am in awe. I am certainly not unhappy and I consider myself a glass half full person, but.......I just don't muster the same shiny attitude. I suppose it is a God given gift. I think I used to be that "shiny" but I have lost some luster over the past few years. I am not complaining, just trying to figure it out.

For those of us who suffer from auto-immune puzzles and issues, we may be happy on the outside but looking at us - not so much! My husband is constantly confounded by this and just wants me to put on a happy face and I try, but it just takes too much energy. I do wear the proverbial mask every Sunday when my boys normally come home for dinner. I have 3 grown and on their own and one still at home - the tender age of 13. So - for our weekly dinners, I try to be chipper and energetic because I love them so and don't want our visits to be a complete downer - although they probably wish I would put on some makeup and fix my hair - maybe dress a little nice. All of that takes energy away from our visit though so that does not happen very often. They are boys and they are forgiving of this and never make me feel bad.

Back to my bird friend - I am so very grateful for his daily, hourly reminder that life is wonderful and to be embraced - even if it is vicariously through him and my wonderful pets - two dogs and two cats - I know that is insane but they make life so much more fun. One is a Jack Russell Terrier, the other a Beagle/JRT mix - what a hoot they are together. The beagle mix is my husband's mini-me - such an old sole and so serious most of the time. The JRT is almost 10 which makes her about as old as me in dog years but you would never know it. The cats are just as entertaining - one a tuxedo cat - fat and sassy but also very sweet and a little crazy. The other is a 18 year old calico - really! She is a trip - I have thought she was dying for about 10 years now but each day she wakes up and speaks to me and manages to find her food and poop in the right place - most of the time. She gives me the faith that at least for today, I will enjoy my beautiful, wonderful, complicated life and be ever so thankful for it!

No comments:

Post a Comment