WAFM to DAHM

First I was a work away from home Mom and it was very hard....then I was a SAHM - stay at home mom and mother of 4- then I tried being a WAHM - work at home mom and that was awesome......But now I am a DAHM - Disabled at home Mom and I am doing the best that I can to make that Okay! Recently I have added caregiver and advocate to my 84 year old mother who suffers from Dementia and mental illness. Such is life... I hope you visit here and find a reason to smile and a little Joy!

Sunday, March 15, 2009


It's another rainy and dreary day here but snug and warm inside. I can't help but think of homeless people on days like this and how close I came to being one! :) I am still waiting on a decision on my social security disability - it has been almost a year since I had to stop working and almost 6 months since I filed. Anyone who has been through this process knows that it is a very long one!

My little froggiepie friend here is my hero. This little Debbie Mumm graphic sits on my desktop to remind me that I can hang on and now that my husband has a job (we were both unemployed up until about a month ago) we will be able to keep our house and we are gettin by just fine. But.......I still can't forget that many are not and our situation could change in a heartbeat - just as it did last year. For those of us who are disabled, it is a daily fear - what would we do if we had no income, no insurance, (we still don't have insurance yet and haven't for about 6 months) no money for medication. Well there are ways to survive for short periods of time and I am living proof.

I was on 7 medications plus a breathing machine (BI-Pap) prior to the loss of our insurance. First - if you find yourself in this situation, go online and research any assistance you can find from the company who manufactures your medication - there are lots of discounts and some free offers out there depending on your income. What meds can you buy over the counter to temporarily replace the prescriptions?? Give your doctor's office a call and let them know your situation - mine provided samples for my most important prescription for several months and then changed it over to a different generic to hold me over until I get insurance. There is help out there - don't give up!! Also - check with your local Medicaid office - you may qualify for assistance there. Just don't give up.

Just like my froggiepie friend - we can all hang in until things get better and they will. Just have faith and just for today - hang on and have faith.

No comments:

Post a Comment