WAFM to DAHM

First I was a work away from home Mom and it was very hard....then I was a SAHM - stay at home mom and mother of 4- then I tried being a WAHM - work at home mom and that was awesome......But now I am a DAHM - Disabled at home Mom and I am doing the best that I can to make that Okay! Recently I have added caregiver and advocate to my 84 year old mother who suffers from Dementia and mental illness. Such is life... I hope you visit here and find a reason to smile and a little Joy!

Monday, June 7, 2010

Sun and Sand..........

My family has a vacation planned!  The first one in over 8 years - exciting - yes; worrisome - yes that too!  Why, you say??  Vacations have not notoriously been a good thing for me and I don't want to ruin my family's good time.  I hate being the downer in the room --- no fun at all. 

Believe it or not, even a vacation can be a stressful illness causing event for people with CFS/ME/Fibro and more.  The heat, sun, travel, having too much fun, can all cause exacerbation of symptoms and land you in bed for an extended stay.  I so remember years ago, going camping with my family (which I loved) and getting to much sun and then having a huge outbreak of fever blisters all over my mouth and nose - so sick and we had to pack up and leave early.  It took so long to get over that trip and I was still working full time at that time and no one could understand how I could go back to work and be worse off than BEFORE vacation.  Such is the life with these illnesses.

So here we are trying to give it another try and I am trying to be optimistic and get excited.....cautiously but excited.  Things to remember - lots of sun block (have to find one that does not cause breakouts), drink, drink, and drink water -- can't tell you how many times my hubby has had to go out in the middle of the night for meds for bladder infection while on vacation or at a conference (caused by the Interstitial Cystitis) and that is no fun - seems to always happen when all stores are closed.  Be careful what I eat and don't over do or over eat.....or over anything.  Easy right?  Takes practice but it is doable.  Then there is the drive to get there - don't get car sick - sit in the right place in the car; take meds before the headache comes and do all that you can to avoid any infections - sinus, bladder, ear, etc. 

I am surely not complaining --- just trying to make this an enjoyable time for my family and hopefully I will have some fun too.  ;o)  Just being with them is fun enough for me.  Many times I stay behind because it is just easier for them and for me and I do it knowing that they will enjoy the freedom; freedom from the worry and aggravation of having to deal with a chronic illness.  It wears you down and no one can understand unless they have lived with it.  Those of you who know - understand and relate.  We do what we have to and are happy to do it.  Sooooo here's to vacation!!  Enjoy ---- but not too much.  ;o)

No comments:

Post a Comment