WAFM to DAHM

First I was a work away from home Mom and it was very hard....then I was a SAHM - stay at home mom and mother of 4- then I tried being a WAHM - work at home mom and that was awesome......But now I am a DAHM - Disabled at home Mom and I am doing the best that I can to make that Okay! Recently I have added caregiver and advocate to my 84 year old mother who suffers from Dementia and mental illness. Such is life... I hope you visit here and find a reason to smile and a little Joy!

Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Weather and It's Effects.......

Do you have big swings in how you feel when the weather changes?  I sure do and sometimes I just can't get my head around it.  I am fortunate that I live in a relatively warm climate in the south and at some points during the year, I see significant improvement.  But any extreme will cause a halt in my progress and send me reeling backwards.

Right now we are having some cold wet weather and little sunshine and it is very hard to get myself out of bed and even harder to get dressed or move.  Pain is throbbing in all sorts of places and nothing I do seems to quiet the rage my body is sending out.  I truly don't know what I would do if I lived up north or anywhere where there was significant cold weather for long periods of time.  More than likely I would be in bed or huddled on the couch for those months.

As it stands now, I have pretty clear ups and downs associated with the weather and the time of the year.  My norm is to be fairly down and out November through March or so depending on how early Spring comes.  I am just so very thankful that there is a reprieve and things do improve when it is warm but not too hot.

Heat brings about it's own issues and July and August can bring on other issues such as extreme fatigue, sweating and shortness of breath but not as much pain.  So my best months are somewhere in April and possibly May and Fall months of October and maybe November.  I would have to say that Winter is the worst unless it is very mild.

I have also begun to realize that diet plays into this range of temperatures.  If I eat lots of foods that cause inflammation such as those we normally have at Thanksgiving, then I will exacerbate the effects of the cold or heat - whichever is the case.  So I am trying to learn the signals and fight the fight before I am totally down and out.

Please know that none of this is mentioned in an effort to complain, just to think out loud and share information that may make it easier for us all.  I have been on this path for quite a while and if I can help someone who is not as far along, then I would surely want to do that.  I wish you all of you and those who love you a cozy and warm Winter!

No comments:

Post a Comment