WAFM to DAHM

First I was a work away from home Mom and it was very hard....then I was a SAHM - stay at home mom and mother of 4- then I tried being a WAHM - work at home mom and that was awesome......But now I am a DAHM - Disabled at home Mom and I am doing the best that I can to make that Okay! Recently I have added caregiver and advocate to my 84 year old mother who suffers from Dementia and mental illness. Such is life... I hope you visit here and find a reason to smile and a little Joy!

Saturday, November 17, 2012

To Do or Not To Do......

I have talked about the idea of making decisions on energy consumption and the benefits versus the downside before.  What???  What I mean is that for those of us with a chronic illness, going out or doing things must be weighed with what the consequences may be.  For me, I can occasionally go out to a function, shopping or a visit somewhere but I am always aware there will be a cost and sometimes it is bigger than I anticipate.  Over time I have learned ways to lessen the damage and to make the down time a little shorter after an outing.  If something comes up and I have not had time to plan, then I will surely pay the price and so will my family.

Another thing we always must be aware of is that my ability to do something can change from day to day so planning is always noted with the fact that I will if I can.  Unless it is something very important, many times I do need to change my plans and make the decision to stay home and rest.  Life goes much smoother and is more enjoyable when I listen to the signs and realize that today is not going to be the day and that is okay.  One of the most important lessons that I have learned is just because you can does not mean you should!  Lots of trial and error and long bouts of being down and out have taught me this all important rule.

Another issue that rears it's ugly head for me is that when there are plans and something that I am looking forward to, I have the tendency to get over excited and not be able to sleep.  That is the surest way that my plans will need to be cancelled.  Extra rest is necessary to be able to get out and enjoy something and without sleep, I am headed for disaster for days on end.

Last night my hubby and I went out, got dressed up and attended a local charity event that was important to us and part of his job at times.  While we were walking to the convention center where the event was held, I mentioned to him that some people looking at me would thing that I look absolutely fine and would be appalled to know that I am on disability.  My hubby quickly replied that if they knew what I had to go through before and after doing something like that, then they would understand.  It was a short evening and of course we came home and back into jammies I went and collapsed on the couch......but for me it was worth it and we had a really nice time.  Today will be a day of recouping and that's okay too because we made the decision to expend that energy and did so wisely.  Just like the spoonie adage, we must chose wisely to make life more liveable!

No comments:

Post a Comment