WAFM to DAHM

First I was a work away from home Mom and it was very hard....then I was a SAHM - stay at home mom and mother of 4- then I tried being a WAHM - work at home mom and that was awesome......But now I am a DAHM - Disabled at home Mom and I am doing the best that I can to make that Okay! Recently I have added caregiver and advocate to my 84 year old mother who suffers from Dementia and mental illness. Such is life... I hope you visit here and find a reason to smile and a little Joy!

Sunday, January 24, 2010

Cooking Can Be Easy!!!


A good friend gave me the following recipe for Baked Potato Soup and I can't believe how easy it is.  I know for many of us cooking can be really difficult and I don't do much any more - for my family's sake and mine.  :)  This is very hearty but also very tasty.  You can make it with meat or not - I have two vegetarians in my family so it is always nice to find easy recipes like this.  Let me know how you like it.


Tony Roma's Baked Potato Soup
You can substitute vegetable stock for the chicken, and imitation bacon bits for the real ones for a vegetarian dish.  Serves 6-8
2 Medium Potatoes - Baked
3 teaspoons butter
1 cup diced white onion
2 teaspoons flour
4 cups chicken stock
2 cups water
1/4 cup cornstarch
1 1/2 cups instant mashed potatoes
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon basil
1/8 teaspoon thyme
1 cup half and half

Optional Garnish
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1/4 crumbled cooked bacon
2 green onions chopped

I saute the onion in the butter and then add to the soup pot along with the stock and water. Then cut your potatoes up (sans skin) and add to the mix.  I then added all of the seasonings and let simmer for about 30 minutes.  I then added the flour and mashed potato flakes and whisked a little to be sure everything was disolved and smooth except the potato chuncks.  Then add the half and half and stir well, reduce heat and simmer for about 15 minutes.  It is delicious!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment