WAFM to DAHM

First I was a work away from home Mom and it was very hard....then I was a SAHM - stay at home mom and mother of 4- then I tried being a WAHM - work at home mom and that was awesome......But now I am a DAHM - Disabled at home Mom and I am doing the best that I can to make that Okay! Recently I have added caregiver and advocate to my 84 year old mother who suffers from Dementia and mental illness. Such is life... I hope you visit here and find a reason to smile and a little Joy!

Saturday, September 27, 2014

Let's Talk......

I am a big talker - to myself that is.  I know most people do it and if you're like me and spend time alone it gets to be quite the ongoing dialog.  But....how does that talk go??  Most every body is familiar with this little graphic from The Help and I love it so.  It reminds us how very important our inner dialog is.  The older I get, the more I realize that it is necessary to replace all of the negative garbage that goes around in my head with positive reaffirming thoughts. 

Would you say that to a friend?  Would you attack someone you love in the same way you would yourself??  One of the biggest lessons I have learned on this chronic illness journey is to at least try and be kind to yourself.   Daily affirmations are a good way to do this and being patient when you make mistakes or can't do things that you used to do.  I have found out that if I get angry and frustrated with myself then the situation only gets worse.  Laughter is the best medicine in this case and so much of the time it breaks the tension and makes dealing with this monster a little easier.

As part of my illness, I have something called Duputren's Contracture and this has caused my hands to begin to turn inward and it makes it difficult to grasp and pick things up.  The orthopedist  tells me this will more than likely happen to my feet as well.  This is not life threatening and is just another agitation among many.  Some days I get so angry and frustrated about breaking things and dropping whatever is in my hands.  But....I can still type and I crochet, mostly because I love it, and because it is good therapy for my hands.  There are lots of other issues with both hands like most of us have and I am determined to keep using them and keep them working.  Good self conversation works here too and being thankful that I have hands that can still do many things.

Just remember to Love yourself so that you can truly Love others.....

No comments:

Post a Comment