WAFM to DAHM

First I was a work away from home Mom and it was very hard....then I was a SAHM - stay at home mom and mother of 4- then I tried being a WAHM - work at home mom and that was awesome......But now I am a DAHM - Disabled at home Mom and I am doing the best that I can to make that Okay! Recently I have added caregiver and advocate to my 84 year old mother who suffers from Dementia and mental illness. Such is life... I hope you visit here and find a reason to smile and a little Joy!

Thursday, March 20, 2014

What is Your Season????

For many of us with a chronic illness, seasons can make a huge difference in how we are feeling.  Some just love Spring with the color and more moderate temps and others love cold for some inexplicable reason.  For me, Fall is the season that I get the most relief from pain and allergies.  Well for most of us, Spring has sprung and love it or not it is here.

For many years I had a love hate relationship with
Spring.  While I enjoyed the color and life that showed up with flowers and weather, I felt Spring was mocking me.  Yep - there it is - how could the world be alive with color and beauty when I felt old and awful.  To top it all off, like so many I am plagued with allergies that exacerbate something awful in Spring.  They are with me all year long but Spring is the trifecta for me - runny nose, stuffy head and drippy eyes.  Ugh.  I have read many times that allergies are supposed to lesson as we grow older - something about the immune system becoming less effective so it doesn't fight the things our bodies used to rebel with as much vigor.  Sure - not for me - mine just keep getting worse.  Anyway - enough of the whining - there is a point in all of this.  Really.....

As I get older I am learning to embrace the good things that we can enjoy from each time of the year and put the bad ones on the back burner.  Now that sounds so easy but just like anything in life it has taken lots of time and practice over the years.  Don't misunderstand, next week I will very likely be complaining as I hack and sneeze but at least for today I am embracing the first day of Spring and so trying to enjoy all of the things on the love side of the list.

Now this is true with all of the things that bring on bad days and weeks in bed. I still believe in fighting for my health and I do it everyday but I have also learned that we must mine for the gold in each and every situation to make life all that it can be.  If we allow the pain and negativity to overcome us it will envelope us and we become powerless.  This past winter was difficult for me and while our weather here was mild compared to many areas in the country, it was tough for us Southerners who are not prepared for it.  I succumbed to a deeper depression than usual and confined myself to my bedroom for hibernation.  With a change in meds and an ability to see myself sinking in deeper and deeper, I have been able to grab hold of the side of the hole and begin to claw my way out.  I am not on solid ground just yet but I am feeling my feet beneath me again and as I look up to a rare bright sunny day I feel some of the pain easing away slowly - just as it came on.

For those of you who don't suffer depression as an aside to the effects of chronic illness, then none of this may make sense.  But......for those of us who live it and breathe it every day of our lives, you know these feelings well.  Get out and take a walk, make yourself connect with others, love those who love you and enjoy them.  Hug your pets and hold them close to feel another heart beat, feed yourself well and know that you are worth feeling better!  Above all learn to be kind to yourself because through that exercise you will know kindness and love for others and life will bloom again right along with Spring!



No comments:

Post a Comment