WAFM to DAHM

First I was a work away from home Mom and it was very hard....then I was a SAHM - stay at home mom and mother of 4- then I tried being a WAHM - work at home mom and that was awesome......But now I am a DAHM - Disabled at home Mom and I am doing the best that I can to make that Okay! Recently I have added caregiver and advocate to my 84 year old mother who suffers from Dementia and mental illness. Such is life... I hope you visit here and find a reason to smile and a little Joy!

Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Can You See Me Now?......

Invisibility is part of our vocabulary and becomes an inescapable part of our lives once we have been diagnosed with certain types of chronic illnesses.  Have you ever sat in your doctor's office and felt you had melted into the furniture and weren't visible to anyone there.   I sure have and I don't much like it.  This is not another depressing whining blog entry I promise - so don't click away just yet.

I was reading a blog that I follow - Lil Blue Boo and I realized how guilty we all are of this.  What do we see all the time and don't really notice.  Ashley's blog entry was about an older man waiting at the same area in the hospital when she was awaiting a scan.  She realized he needed help and made an attempt to assist him but in the end was very sad at the realization that no one really noticed he was alone and needed help.

I truly am trying very hard to be alert and notice things like this but I am continually shocked at what I miss right in front of my eyes.  If we know first hand how hurtful and painful it is to be ignored and misunderstood then it only makes sense that we be the difference we want to see by trying to search out those in similar situations and actually do something - it doesn't have to be a big something.  Small ripples can make huge waves if we try and every positive thing we do for others makes the world a better place to live.  Like the three monkeys, I am going to try hard and put one hand over my complaining mouth and open my ears and eyes to others and maybe at the same time get my mind off of what is hurting and difficult in my own life.  It's worth a try. 


No comments:

Post a Comment