WAFM to DAHM

First I was a work away from home Mom and it was very hard....then I was a SAHM - stay at home mom and mother of 4- then I tried being a WAHM - work at home mom and that was awesome......But now I am a DAHM - Disabled at home Mom and I am doing the best that I can to make that Okay! Recently I have added caregiver and advocate to my 84 year old mother who suffers from Dementia and mental illness. Such is life... I hope you visit here and find a reason to smile and a little Joy!

Thursday, January 6, 2011

What's In Your Basket Today..........

While I was reading a devotional yesterday, I saw another way that we can look at our issues and make decisions about how we are going to deal with them.  No matter what our life involves, each day we have our own daily events, symptoms, family situations, etc. to deal with.  I have read a lot about the spoon theory and I do love this comparison and explanation from the But You Don't Look Sick web site.  Another take on this idea for me now is What do I have in my basket today and more importantly how will I deal with my basket----how do I choose to deal with the items in my basket each and every day.  Because, you see, the way we deal with it is so much more important than what is actually inside.  This is a hard concept at times but so true.

For some, their basket may overflow with pain, frustration, different symptoms along with their regular daily life.  Some days my basket is like that but many days there are more good things to contemplate.  I used to tell my husband that each day I could throw all of my myriad of symptoms into the air and see what landed in my lap for that day - you just never know.  One day, I may feel okay not be as tired or weak and get a few things accomplished.  The next I could be in pain, exhausted, sleepy and depressed all day long.  On another, I might experience something that is new to the mix and totally unexpected.

So - I am trying hard - its not always easy - to look at each day and take a peek into my basket to find what is inside for me - there is only one thing for certain - and my basket can change as the day goes on - but there will surely be obstacles and issues along with other daily things we all experience.  Now - what I decide to do with my basket and how I handle it is all so important.  If I let it overwhelm me and don't take charge then it will over take my day and I will loose more time in my life.  But.....if I take it by the handle and decide how I will handle its contents for today ---- just for today, tomorrow is another day and another basket, then I can make better use of my time, enjoy this life as much as possible and become stronger and better able to cope.  It is an exercise and the ability to deal with our basket gets better over time and it does get easier - day by day and basket by basket.  What is in your basket today and how will you deal with it?

No comments:

Post a Comment